SHOC

SHOC
Discerning content for Bad Hombres and Nasty Women

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

TUNESMITH TUESDAY - "Stand By Me" by Johnny Adams

I know. It's not the *real* version by Ben E. King. But this is SO much better than the original version (IMHO).

Johnny Adams (January 5, 1932 – September 14, 1998), according to Wikipedia,


"...was an American blues, jazz and gospel singer, known as 'The Tan Canary' for the multi-octave range of his singing voice, his swooping vocal mannerisms, and falsetto. His biggest hits were his versions of 'Release Me' and 'Reconsider Me' in the late 1960s."

I first heard this song while in a tourist ripoff shop in New Orleans about 10 years ago. Another one of his songs was playing on the store's audio system, and it piqued my interest. I asked the woman who ran the shop who it was, and she told me it was this guy, Johnny Adams.  Just then, "Stand By Me" started, and I said, "Oh, I know this song!"

And her response was, "Honey, you ain't never heard it sung THIS way before!"

She was right.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment