SHOC

SHOC
Discerning content for Bad Hombres and Nasty Women

Friday, July 16, 2021

Some Thoughts For Benson Green On His 27th Birthday

This is one of the very few poems I ever memorized


Some Thoughts for Benson Green on his 27th Birthday

Having just gone through the year myself
I know that twenty-seven can be hard.
But there are Sunday breakfasts
     and April fields
          and blue on blue
              and green growing things
to change all that.

I know that spring is hard because you wait for summer

and fall is hardest of them all
     because you must not be alone
         when winter comes.

I know
     that love is worth the time it takes to find.

Think of that
    when all the world seems made of walk-up rooms
          and hands in empty pockets.

I know your smile
     and it is much too warm to waste on people in the street
                      (though smiles are plentiful)
and I know
     that if you keep the empty heart alive a little longer
          love will come.
                  It always does,

maybe just at the last moment, 
     but it will come    
         
You must believe that
     or there isn’t any reason to be twenty-seven.
                    - Rod McKuen

No comments:

Post a Comment