SHOC

SHOC
Discerning content for Bad Hombres and Nasty Women

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Happy Birthday, Will

My eldest son Will is 27 today.

I'm incredibly proud of this kind and generous man. 

Years ago, I came across a poem by American author Rod McKuen. For some reason, it really resonated with me, and became one of the (very few) poems I memorized. If for no other reason than it's about a 27th birthday, I'm including it here.


Some Thoughts for Benson Green on his 27th Birthday

Having just gone through the year myself
I know that twenty-seven can be hard.
But there are Sunday breakfasts
                           and April fields
and blue on blue
                           and green growing things
to change all that.

I know that spring is hard because you wait
                                     for summer
and fall is hardest of them all-
                 because you must not be alone
when winter comes.

I know
that love is worth the time it takes to find.
Think of that
    when all the world seems made of walk-up rooms
and hands in empty pockets.

I know your smile
and it is much too warm to waste on people in the
    street
                      (though smiles are plentiful)
and
I know
that if you keep the empty heart alive a little longer
love will come.
                    It always does,
maybe just at the last moment, but it will come
                                           You must believe that
or there isn’t any reason to be twenty-seven.



Happiest of birthdays. Son. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment